Lunar Eclipse captures students’ attention

Tyler Thurman, Reporter

On September 27 it was a different night. It wasn’t as bright outside and when people look up the moon was red or it was bigger than usual. On that night there was a rare lunar eclipse.

The moon was different compared to other lunar eclipse’s. The reason why is because it was slightly bigger and was red or a ‘blood moon.’ It’s also not supposed to happen until 2033.

“It was a full eclipse, total eclipse at the same time of perigee, moons closest position of it’s orbit,” said astronomy teacher Darrick Gray.

There is a reason behind to why the moon is different. The things in the atmosphere can affect it.

“Nitrogen in our atmosphere filters out the bulk of the blue light from the sun leaving only red to be refracted onto the moon,” said Gray.  

For senior Brayden Roberts it was a neat experience to watch the eclipse. Roberts learns about astronomy and has taken Darrick Gray’s class.

“I thought it was really cool, I got to see it around 9:47 and when it was full red moon and I don’t get to see it until around 2033,” said Roberts.

Brayden thinks that astronomy is a good thing and that people should try to learn more about it.

“Astronomy is fun and something people should be involved in because it’s integral to our past,” said Roberts.

Though some people didn’t see the eclipse, Roberts thinks that it is a great thing to learn about astronomy in Mr. Gray’s class. The eclipse was a rare event because it was closest to the earth and won’t happen again until 2033.