Campus Couples

Taylor Catlett, Reporter

August is the time for summer to end and school to start back up again. For 3 couples, it was also the time to put distance between themselves, and learn how to go through their daily lives without being by each other’s side. “Inter-educational” couples is when one memeber of the relationship goes to high school and the other member goes to college.
Senior Halli Hallman has been dating college freshman, and former Ray-Pec graduate, Christopher Cramsey for one year and eight months. Cramsey is now going to Northwest Missouri State University. From Peculiar, NWMSU is approximately 2hours drive, 124 miles away.
“We didn’t really prepare for him leaving because it’s going to work. It’s only 2 hours away, yeah that sucks, but we talk all the time. It’s not really a big difference. We just won’t be able to see each other every day” said Hallman.
Senior Celinda Hefner, dating college freshman Mason Goffoy for over a year, set her worries aside to focus on her boyfriend’s achievement. Goffoy is attending Lindenwood University, in Saint Charles, Missouri.
“At first I wasn’t thrilled with the idea, I was really scared and had no idea what was going to happen. Now I’m just focused on supporting him and helping him as much as I can from a distance. I’m proud of him and where he’s come, and he feels the same for me” said Hefner.
Hallman is not tying herself to one set plan because she has the choice to attend college with Cramsey or to choose her school.
“I have been accepted to Northwest, But I still have my options open. I have been accepted to Wichita and Western, as well” said Hallman.
Hefner is trying to stay as close as possible to Goffoy, but is keeping her own goals in mind and planning her college experience to her needs.
“I have looked into his college because it has a very good program for social work, which is what I’ll be majoring in. However, it’s expensive so I have yet to apply there. I have been accepted into Mizzou and University of Missouri- St. Louis, which both are not too far from him” said Hefner.
Staying in touch and talking as much as possible to important to Hallman and Cramsey, so they communicate whenever they can.
“He texts me all the time. He has really bad connection up there, so we don’t really get to FaceTime. But he does call me like twice a week”said Hallman.
Communication can be a a crucial part to any relationship, and Hefner and Goffoy put in the effort to talk as much as they can.
“We FaceTime every night to talk about our days, we text all the time and always let each other know what we’re doing so we feel more apart of our daily routines. We’ve been through a lot together, and we’re very strong, so a little distance for awhile isn’t enough to break us apart” said Hefner.
Both couples deal with common problems of a long-distance-relationship, but each relationship is different and unique. Making their relationship last between high school and college is main goal, and while it is a difficult task, both couples are willing to make it work.