Steps Toward Supporting Small Businesses

Hannah Oldham, Staffer

While persevering through the struggles the Coronavirus pandemic has inflicted on small businesses, they need our support more than ever. Supporting local small businesses can create more local job opportunities.

Small businesses are not only important to the community but also very important to the economy. Two-thirds of new jobs are created thanks to small businesses.

As teenagers are looking for starter jobs, they may find smaller businesses to be a better fit than bigger chain businesses. Small businesses can give unique experiences that chain businesses cannot, such as better bonding with coworkers and customers alike as well as flexible work schedules. Senior Emily Sunseri shares her opinion about an opportunity to work at a smaller business.

“A job at a small business is a great opportunity to be a part of something that helps the community and gives you a chance to experience a work environment that is unique,” Sunseri said.

Additionally the quality of the product is usually higher at a small business opposed to a bigger business due to the demand. More time, effort, and creativity is put into the product and it may even represent the community in some way.

A small business could also be a service. Sophomore Tre Hill shares that his father owns a lawn mowing business. Hill believes small businesses produce better work because the people care about the community and the way it is perceived. Hill shares his plan if he were to start his own small business.

“I would cut grass under my own business because you can make really good money as well as benefit the community,”said Hill.

There are multiple ways to support the local small businesses, this starts by just considering a small business before a large business. Of course buying products or services from small businesses benefits them, but it goes beyond that. There are even ways to support small businesses for free. This is possible by sharing their posts on social media, telling people about the business, or writing a review.

“I support some small businesses by going to them and buying their products. I love some local metaphysical stores and some coffee shops in Kansas City,” Sunseri remarked.

There are a variety of small businesses around the area. This gives different types of people more of a chance to find something they like. This also provides many opportunities for people to support through different services and products. Which is able to open these businesses up to even more people.

Whether your support to local small businesses is monetary or simply spreading the word it makes a difference, not only to the economy, but most importantly the community.