Go register

Quick and easy. Registering to vote in the upcoming election, senior Josie Hilsabeck fills out her registration card with assistance from senior Alyson Van Winkle. Students are encouraged to register to vote for the elections to take place within the next couple of months with a table run by Student Senate set up during lunch. photo by maddie reihs

Mackenzie Zismer, Reporter

2016 will be a year of voter decision from presidential to the potential to improve the school facility.  Students who would are eligible to vote in the April no tax increase school bond issue must be registered by March 9.

Voter registration requires an individual to be at least 18 years of age at the date of the election, and 17 and a half years old when you register. You must also be a U.S. citizen, have no parole, you must not be convicted of a felony, and can not be imprisoned. To register a person can go to the DMV or online at http://www.sos.mo.gov/.

Senior Jeana Scott meets all those requirements, making her eligible to vote. She chose  to register, and completed it online. Scott had free time during her advisory class, so she seized the opportunity to register.

“I had to do it online and send it in. It goes to a court house. But, I know that you fill out all your information as long as you’re going to be 18 by the next voting registry then you can submit it in four weeks before the actual vote,” said Scott.

Scott knows if she wants to vote then she has to register, and knows that she needs to vote. She was raised to know her vote matters, and that her political view matters. She knows she needs to vote to have her voice heard.

“Voting is important. Because even if you don’t get your choice with who you vote for you at least you had a say in where you’re going. Cause your vote is going to matter,” said Scott.

Scott also educates herself by watching the debates and keeping up with news. She knows what she is talking about, and she does not talk alone. Seniors Cara Sibert and Caleb Daniels are always ready to talk politics with her.

“Jeana is my debate partner, so I have heard a lot about her political views,” said Sibert.

They are all knowledgeable on politics, so they are able to talk constantly about all things government.

“We talk to an excess,” said Daniels.

By talking constantly Scott, Sibert, and Daniels can see every candidate’s point of view. They look for different things in a candidate they might not have seen before.

“There’s a lot of different issues they stand for, and honestly, you voting is the only thing that’s gonna make your position in the United States worth a little bit more,” said Scott.

Scott will be voting, along with other students in her grade and the grade below hers, to help her political views become reality. All eligible students need to register to vote, so that when the time comes they can choose the person they want as their next leader.