Olha Ter-Vartanova: The Situations in Europe

Olha Ter-vartanova, Reporter

Europe is beautiful part of world with unique history of developing, different countries, cultures, traditions, and customs.
Americans use European products every day. It can be food, clothes, technology, etc. Besides, the USA has close relationships with European countries in order to keep peace, sharing knowledge and crops around the world.
That’s why there are numerous exchange programs between European countries and the USA. This year the high school has exchange students from Ukraine, Germany, Switzerland, The Netherlands, and Sweden. It is important to understand why they decided to come through thousands miles from Motherland to the USA and study one academic year in Missouri.
It is hard to maintain the most important recent information that Americans need to know.
On of the most popular news in Europe is situation in Greece. Greek society has problems with their economy right now. Greece is in a debt all over the world. The country does not have resources to pay bills. And consequently, big part of Greek people immigrate to England, France, and Italy in order to find job and better life.
Another significant situation in political and social European life is the harsh relationship between Ukraine and Russia. In March 2014, Russian Federation annexed part of independent Ukraine (island Crimea in the south of Ukraine) without any agreement between countries. Ukrainian government still does not support the annexation of Crimea.
It was real disaster for all people. A lot of families splitted out into different parts. Nation broke into two parts: for Russian intervention and against it. Ukraine lost not only land, because Russian president, Vladimir Putin, did not stop on Crimea.
After Crimea’s annexation, in the second part of 2014, Ukraine had problems with the East. As this part of the country is very close to Russian territory, some armed people decided to make on the territory new republics and break up with Ukraine in order to be with Russia in future. Of course, not all people supported the idea. The Civil War started.
It is really hard imagine such situation. Ukrainian people are against Ukrainians. People lost their children, friends, homes, and stable future. But it wasn’t the end.
Russian military intervened into Ukrainian territory without government’s permission in order to win the whole Ukraine.
European Union and the USA are helping Ukraine with the situation right now. The country receives money and military aid in order to overcome the enemy. And even now, in 2015, the problem has not been solved yet.
It is important to know the biggest news all over the world, because, first of all, it is knowledge of understanding other cultures and people that are coming to the United States of America.