New percussionist expert for band

Olha Ter-Vartanova, Reporter

A lot of changes happened to Ray-Pec High School this year. One of them is connected with musical part of school’s life. Brandon McCoy, the percussionist, became an new expert in Ray-Pec High school. He teaches Drum Line, Percussion Ensemble, the Marching Band, and the Beginning Band. Moreover, he teaches in Eagle Glen and Bridle Bridge schools and in the middle school. Despite the fact that he is young, Brandon is a wise teacher with a lot of musical experience.

“I’ve been teaching nine years now, so I figured out how to combine work and family at this point. But, yeah, in the beginning it was hard, because, the marching band takes a lot of time and stuff like that. You just have long hours and you don’t see your kids and wife as much. But now I’ve been doing it for a while, so it’s normal,” said McCoy.

Every one of the McCoy’s family plays different musical instruments, so his career as a musician started when he was little boy.

“My early memories playing with my mom’s chopsticks, I teared them apart. And just playing with chopsticks on the pans in the kitchen,” said McCoy.

Although his love for percussion did not finish in the kindergarten. He continued playing drums.

“I just always wanted to play drums. I’ve never considered another instrument,” said McCoy.

Before the teaching career he used to play in rock’n’roll bands and tour around the country with Christian bands and different singer-songwriters. But then Brandon McCoy decided “to become mature” and at some point to stay at home with family.

He used to teach in Oak Park High School, and then he saw an opening position in Ray-Pec High School.

“I knew that the Band was good. I knew that Mr. Wilson had good things going and I wanted to be a part of big program,” said McCoy.

And now Brandon McCoy is the newest addition to the band program, improving the skills of the percussion section..

“I think Mr. McCoy brought a lot of energy to our program. He energize not only kids but and staff. I’m very impressed with his knowledge,” said lead Band Director John Wilson.

It is visible to students how passionate McCoy is about his job. He is very busy, as, for example, the marching band takes a lot of free time and much powers. Despite this fact, he always stays energetic and positive.

“He’s doing his job fantastic,” said Wilson.

Brandon McCoy is an great asset for the Band and Ray-Pec High School, in general. He and his skills are bringing positive changes in school process, especially changes in the musical life of school.