GSA allows students to be who they are

Gabby Sullivan, Reporter

High school gives people the opportunity to find out who they are. Gender Sexuality Alliance gives students an outlet to be who they are within school walls.

GSA has a different connotation than what they would like to portray to the students. With this they have recently this year changed the name from Gay Straight Alliance to Gender Sexuality Alliance  

“I’d like more respect of people being able to go into the group and actually be able to out themselves, because it does take a lot of courage to even join the group…” said junior Josie Harmon.

The club was created originally as a safe haven, but has grown to be a welcoming club.

“I love how many members we have this year.  I love the fact that we have changed a lot to make it more inclusive. We’ve changed a lot just to try to bring everyone in,” said junior Jensen Tillotson.

There are numerous reasons to join the club.

“I joined GSA partially because my parents were trying to get me more involved to school activities and I had learned a little bit about the club the year before but I didn’t really know about it much. I decided to join that one because it was something I felt strongly about,”said junior Erica Theiling.

Gender Sexuality Alliance is a club that anyone can join.  Meetings take place Thursdays after school in Carrie Harmon’s room in the North building.