Another year, another March Madness

Marlon Williams, Reporter

March Madness is here, and is a high anticipated tournament. The seeds are set, games have been underway, and there has already been some upsets that has taken place. This tournament,like all others,is setting up to make,and break, college basketball fans hearts.

As some would expect, every year there is a large group of basketball fans that create brackets. Brackets are predictions on how teams are going to advance during the tournament. There are many challenges of creating a bracket. World History and Law Enforcement teacher Keegan Garner makes his own brackets every year and knows a great amount about creating accurate brackets.

“I start in each region and pick a winner for each game until I get to the final four team. I repeat for each region. Then I pick my final four teams. I always have Duke winning the whole thing,” said Garner.

Brackets are easy to make for some. It can be as easy as choosing one’s favorite team and having them win it all, and by looking at current standings and using logic to create the rest,for the people who like to put their own teams winning it all it is a pretty easy process to go with.

“Until my Blue Devils lose and then I will not care as much,”said Garner.

Now, a major downside to creating March Madness brackets are upsets, which can destroy brackets in an instant. Upsets are when a higher ranked team loses to a low ranked team. There has already been some upsets in the 2018 tournament. Sophomore Spencer Harris has his own thoughts about one upsets he believes is gonna happen.

“I think Kansas is gonna lose, that’s gonna be a big upset,” said Harris.

There is most likely going to be a large amount of upsets coming up and and one potential upset that could be coming up. According to it’s Mr.Garner Missouri against Xavier.

“I think the biggest one would Mizzou possibly beating Xavier in the second round, but I highly doubt that will happen. The only chance they would have is if Porter comes back with a stronger tournament appearance,” said Garner.

In some cases throughout the years there have been perfect brackets, where a person has perfectly guessed which teams win which games. There hasn’t been that many perfect brackets, in fact they are a rare occurrence that don’t always pop up according to Garner.

“A perfect bracket? I think there has only been a few of those and I am not one of those lucky individuals,” Said Garner.
Perfection might be hard but it is achievable for anybody whether it is due to pure luck or a well thought out bracket anybody can achieve the perfect bracket.

Each and every year the March Madness tournament keeps all of the viewers locked in. A large spectrum of emotions hit during the tournament whether it is a broken bracket due to a upset, or a low seed team beating a high seed team and predicting that exact upset.