RayPecNOW

• Seniors, check the updated Obligations List outside the Senior Office

• The calendar now shows the last day of school as an early release on May 31

The death of journalism

Back to Article
Back to Article

The death of journalism

Jennifer Aguilar, Assistant Editor

Journalism. What we all have to come to know as “the activity or profession of writing newspapers, magazines, or news websites or preparing news to be broadcasted,” has over the years been tested on its validity and has been fearing it’s possible, sooner than later, death date.  As time has passed, the traditional publication of news through papers has diminished since the uprising of technology and it is not an unpopular topic that Journalism is one foot out into the grave. The peak of newspaper circulation in the United States was in the early 1970s with 63 million newspapers circulated in one weekday. Now, that number has drastically decreased to 31 million newspapers in a weekday in 2017. There are multiple sides to what has happened to journalism. There is the side that it is completely done for, that no one reads the news or watches it anymore since it is not an interest that younger generations have taken part in. As the other side may agree that a version of journalism has passed, but that it has been resurrected and modernized to the world that we know of now. If you think about it, yes, getting your news from a paper is past due now, but there are so many more ways to get the latest news than just the local paper. Twitter has a tab specifically for news, and what is trending in the country, Snapchat has news channels that upload their publications as “snapchat stories,” and Youtube as well has a trending page that has news videos and broadcasts that pop up as recommended on anyone’s account. So, journalism is no where near dead, it’s original version of it may be, but it is only the beginning of journalism and anyone in it’s profession.

When you think about the word journalism, there are a million scenarios that pop into one’s head. You see the typical young reporter, notepad in hand, in a large crowd trying to get the best quote for their story. You see the middle aged man sitting at his desk, cigar lit in his mouth, typing away to the column that will have everyone buying the paper the next morning. But these individuals, these scenarios, do not exist anymore. That does not mean journalism has disappeared with them. Now, journalism is associated with broadcasters on TV, social media experts, and videographers posting videos online on the latest news. It’s all about how to get the news to the most people, in the fastest way possible. Before it may have been through newspapers and magazines, but now technology has taken its place.