Express yourself

Deja McKenzie, Reporter

Stores like H&M, American Eagle, Forever 21, Nike, and Victoria’s Secret catches a teen’s eye to shop for what they want. In those stores, they have a variety of clothes that many different teenagers can choose from. But then, everyone decides to go to the same store and it starts to become popular. However, when it gains popularity, it makes teens wonder if that store really suits them.

For every outfit, each student shows off their uniqueness and creativity. Senior Kyon Woods discusses the inspiration behind his love for fashion.

“My inspiration comes from celebrities like Beyonce and Rihanna since their fashion really moved me to style up my clothing. Also, I love Chanel,” said Woods.

The stores that teenage girls shop at are Forever 21, H&M, and Zara Senior Emma Newman wanted out of the cliche and wanted to do something different with her clothes.

“Before I switched my style, I was basically wearing the same clothing that every other girl in the school was wearing. When I started thrift shopping, I started to change up my style due to the clothing being very different in a unique way,” said Newman.

Nike, American Eagle, and Hollister’s are among the most popular between boys. Senior Trevor Turner upgraded himself to be above and beyond than the teenage boys.

“My style was very boring. I was always that kid who just wore a plain t-shirt and jeans, but now, I grew out of that and I started to wear different kind of outfits that stands out and show the reservation of me,” said Turner.

For every shirt, pants, and shoe, it sums up the identity of a person. Senior Emily Putthoff never let anyone get in her way of trying to be herself.

“I think my style represents my personality because I don’t try to dress a certain way. I wear what I like and I don’t like to be influenced by what other people think about what I wear. I just like to do my own thing,” said Putthoff.

Being into the usual, it can be uneasy to get into the occasional. With Turner’s style, it showed how fearless he was when it came to showing people the real him.

“I get a lot of compliments due to people being very impressed that I am not self conscious wearing what I want to wear,” said Turner.

From dull to fancy, students put originality into their wardrobe. Woods gives advice to teens who want to be different.

“Know your colors, know your style, and know your size. Don’t ever let anyone define who you are through your style,” said Woods.

Many stores have different styles for students and adults to express themselves as their own unique person. Whenever a student express them self, it gives them the chance to show who they are as a person.