Memories to last a lifetime

Hannah Baillie, Business and Marketing Editor

Through every detail of the story, every word has the ability to paint a clearer picture of the past. As 2018 homecoming has passed, teachers’ memories were sparked from past Ray-Pec homecomings.

As 1990 graduate and current english teacher, Jennifer Gingrich, tells the story of her homecoming experiences, she explains the difference time passing has made to this event, and the traditions associated with it.

“When I went my senior year with a big group of my friends, I just remember having so much fun. Everyone was out there dancing, even if they couldn’t dance. I couldn’t and I still can’t dance, but everyone was still out there having fun,” said Gingrich.

Memories of dancing to the most popular music with friends and peers. As well as the memories of what used to be in style. Counselor Cheryl Gray, and 1991 graduate remembers the trends vividly. Trends such as big skirts, big hair, leg warmers, highwaisted jeans, and many others.

“Big hair was definitely popular. So it was more about the hair than it was anything else,” said Gray.

The level of formality has changed over the years along with the style choices. The homecoming football game used to be directly before the dance, affecting the time the students had to get ready. The excitement and energy that a victory of a football game can produce, left the student full of school spirit and hopefulness as they were about to continue their night that was only just beginning.

“I can picture the crowd leaving the student section, and ours was equally exciting as it is now, and if you can just picture all those kids leaving and just literally running to the dance. It was always very overwhelming but was always such a fun and memorable night,” said Gray.

The dance is now held on Saturday night following the Friday night homecoming football game to allow more preparation time for students. Another current teacher who is also an alumni, Tina Fultz reflects back on her 1982 experience of the football game preceeding the dance.

“I just remember everyone jumping up and down, cheering for the team, I remember feeling the wooden bleachers shake and wondering if they were going to break as the excitement built through the crowd,” said Fultz

As each year in one’s life passes, memories remain the same as all aspects of life change in small or even in the largest ways. Homecoming is meant to give students an opportunity to have fun and enjoy some free time with their peers. It gives everyone a time to come together as a community without having to worry about school work or stressful issues in their lives. A memory made to last a lifetime.