Two Rare Students: What Can We Learn From This Year’s National Merit Scholar Finalists

Sydney Bearden, Reporter

Focus. Being very cautious, senior robotics member Jacob Shriner places wires on his machine. Shriner is one of this year’s National Merit Scholarship Finalists.

The rise of standardized testing has offered new college opportunities for upcoming students. SAT and ACT scores often play a big role in college acceptance and scholarships. Seniors Nick Caskey and Jacob Shriner have experienced first hand what can come of success on standardized testing. Both have earned the title of National Merit Scholarship finalists.

For years, National Merit Scholar Semi-finalists have been picked from different schools around the country, based on their competence on the PSAT. Once those people have been picked, there is a second narrowing process that helps eliminate more candidates. The remaining candidates are National Merit Scholar finalists.

“It was kind of surprising to find out I was a semi-finalist, but I didn’t really know what it was until a while after,” said senior Jacob Shriner.

National Merit Scholar finalists reap a variety of benefits. Fort example, at the University of Alabama, National Merit Scholar Finalists receive full tuition paid, and their first year of room and board free, as well as a $3500 stipend every year that students maintain a 3.3 GPA.

“If students get the award, it’s a huge deal for many colleges. It can open up doors to new colleges that may have not been open to students before. Primarily, it helps with college scholarship,” said counselor Eric Sclesky.

Discussion. Participating his class conversation, senior Nick Caskey listens to his classmates’ views. Caskey is involved in advanced classes where he has to communicate with his peers.

It is very infrequent for there to be two National Merit Scholar finalist in one school.

“We have had National Merit Semifinalist before, but having two is a very rare occurrence,” said Sclesky.

Caskey and Shriner have worked hard for their success. Both put time and effort into their studying, treating the PSAT like a test that could truly help improve their future. Additionally, they are also involved with rigorous IB and AP classes, along with  extracurriculars, such as Band and Robotics.

“Both are very serious about school, but are also involved in other things outside of school. They have high goals and aspirations for what they want to do out of high school”, said Sclesky.

Both finalists contributed their success to their familiarity with exams and some additional practice.

“I had taken the PSAT a couple of times. I also used the knowledge I got from preparing for the ACT, and I took a couple prep classes for that. Over all, I have just taken a lot of standardized tests,” said Senior Nick Caskey.

At this point, both candidates have done all they can do, and, as with most of the National Merit Scholar Process, they must now be patient.

“It’s mostly a waiting game,” said Caskey.

Earning the National Merit Scholar Finalist title is not impossible. Studying and familiarity with standardized testing can help students to be as prepared as possible. In the end, taking any standardized test, like the PSAT, SAT, and ACT, can all be a huge help to a student’s future, and will always help them more than hurt them.