Going above and beyond

Carley Peters, Reporter

Breaking away from the normal volunteer opportunities, one student went beyond school hours to make a difference in the community.

Junior, Caleb German originally volunteered for school hours, when he finished his hours he went back to volunteer out of his choice.

“Well it was initially for A+ hours but once I got those, I just kept going back at it because I really liked the feeling and meeting new people and helping people. So that’s why I kept doing it,” said German.

German has done many projects with the organization known as Youth Volunteer Corps, which has many different projects across the Kansas City area.

“It was very interesting working with them because the diversity among the group and seeing how much of a difference of a broken home makes compared to ones with a mom and a dad or a regular nuclear family. I really enjoyed the experience for working for all the little kids,” said German.

German likes how volunteering with YVC has changed him and made him a better person.

“I thinks it’s impacted me for the better because it really helped me appreciate my community and it helped me also appreciate the feeling I get when I help people,” said German.

The Youth Volunteer Corps offers a way to be involved with the community and have opportunities to meet new people. Anna Turpen, a YVC team leader, helps in many different projects throughout the year.

“We set up volunteers for ages eleven through eighteen. So we have Saturday projects, in school and after school programs, and also special projects throughout the year,” said Turpen.

Volunteering gives many a sense of appreciation for their community and what they have.

“I think it’s important for everyone to volunteer because it makes you realize how lucky you are,” said Turpen.

Junior, Chad Fox has seen an impact that volunteering has done in German.

“I think he’s a lot more friendly and more empathetic to others, a more caring person overall. I think it made him a more mature young student, more rounded. He gets along with everyone,” said Fox.

Volunteering can lead many into different directions than expected when they become involved with their community.