Tech Decks are making a comeback

Kaci Kinder, Reporter

Since the 1990’s, tech decks made their way to the homes of children, ranging from ages 5-18. Recently, students at the high school have come together to make a Tech Deck Club, also known as Fingerboarding Club.
In early January, Sophomore Alec Heriford, went to his advanced English II teacher, Haleigh Thompson, asking if he and his friends could make a club for not only them, but for others who enjoy playing with Tech Decks.
“Some of the boys— my current students— asked me to sponsor them. They actually may have been joking, but they hit the ground running when I told them sure,” said Thompson.
The club may not be an educational club, but it is a place to come together and spend time with your friends while learning a new trick every week.
“First we have a presentation over Tech Decking, then we teach each other tricks along with practicing the trick of the week. Third, we have a giant skate park made out of ramps in Thompson’s room,” said Heriford.
The student’s plan to start adding more competition by creating a tournament where they go head to head against each other to not only win bragging rights but other prizes. Sophomore Aidan Payne gives us an inside about the future tournament.
“We plan to have a Tech Deck competition soon, we’re currently looking for people to come and compete. The prizes will be new Tech Decks; we’re going to have some wheels that you can win and stickers,” said Payne.
The new Tech Deck Club has been a place to connect with others as well as learn the art of fingerboarding. This club meets every Wednesday during Panther Time in room 503.