Never too early to start: Luke Grimm at KU

Bela Torres, Reporter

When the first semester of the school year comes to a close, senior Luke Grimm will complete his high school career and move on to college life at Kansas University (KU). Making the move to KU will provide Luke with new and improved opportunities in terms of football and schooling. 

Luke Grimm made his commitment to KU on June 18th, 2019, knowing that the school would be the right move for him.

“There were about five or six other schools, but I narrowed it down quickly. It’s a really close school and I have a good relationship with the coaches there. They fit the type of college style I want of passing the ball a lot, and they also have a good education program for my degree,” said Luke.

Following his plans of attending KU came the idea of graduating from high school at semester. The early departure was decided in order for Luke to get a head start on his first year in college as well as mesh with the team better

“They favored me into doing it because I’d get with the program early and would be able to start lifting weights with the guys, get to know the quarterback, and get to know the scene, so it’s more beneficial to me to be there as long as I can before the season starts to give me a better opportunity to play,” said Luke. 

While the early jump from high school to college allows for an advancement in his football life, it comes with the cost of missing some of the last memories of high school. However, according to Luke’s mom, Pepper Grimm, the early arrival to Kansas gives him a smoother transition.

“Luke graduating early and going to KU at semester gives him an opportunity to settle into the college environment with minimum pressure of the demand for a full load of classes and a football schedule,” said Pepper.

Preparing for his future in college football, Luke sets his focus on completing his high school season and making the most of the practices he has left. While he takes advantage of the daily practices, he also uses time outside of practice to improve his game.

“I train everyday. It’s not just doing football stuff, it’s more like I can watch film or talk to the coaches, so it’s not just going out and doing stuff, it’s more studying than anything else. I’m not allowed to be at the University right now, it’s illegal for me to do that, but I can talk to my wide receiver coach there and he can send me drills. Mainly, they’re just like have fun with high school and then just worry about it when I get there,” said Luke.

Head football coach Tom Kruse has witnessed the physical abilities of Luke since his freshman year. Kruse anticipates Luke’s adjustment to college football to be beneficial for his game due to the challenging environment.

“There’s gonna be a lot of ‘Luke’s’ at college. Right now, he kind of sets himself apart from other athletes, but there will be a lot of really good athletes there, so I do think that it’ll force his game to get better and he has the opportunity to have a special career there,” said Kruse.

Luke has had much experience using not only his football skills, but also practicing his mentality of competitiveness.

“Luke is one of the best competitors that I’ve ever coached, he obviously has a pretty good skill set. His ball skills are really good, and speed and athletic ability, he’s very good, but as I said earlier, he might be one of the most competitive kids I’ve ever coached,” said Kruse.

Luke’s ability to adjust to his teammates allows for a strong opportunity to start college football on a good note.

“He’s a good teammate, he knows how other teammates can make his job easier, or on the flip side, the role that they play in him having opportunities. I think that those things along with his skill set and then academically, he’s very sharp, so I think that he has the opportunity to have a really good college career,” said Kruse.

While he has an opportunity to have a bright future in college football, he is also met with other benefits from the early college experience.

“When we are taken out of our comfort zone, it is our chance to grow.  We believe Luke’s choice of graduating early will push him and do just that.  There will be people he will have to compete against that are bigger and stronger.  He will be in classes that take more focus and studying. His desire for his future goals have to outweigh his fears and this will be a mindset that he will need for whatever he chooses to do in the future,” said Pepper.

Whether the change from high school to college has positive or negative short term effects, it allows for personal growth that will benefit Luke’s future goals and path. Luke’s early arrival at KU will be the first step to him getting to where he wants to be in life.

“Ideally I would love to go play football in the NFL or pro after that. My second choice would be recruiting for college, so I don’t have to teach, I can just be with a college and go travel around the country while just watching football,” said Luke.

“But then in college, I’m trying to graduate in three years, so my last year I can just really focus on football and also just have fun while doing it,” said Luke.

“I know I’m gonna miss out on making memories with my friends, which sucks, but at the same time I’ve gotta do what I’ve gotta do to get where I want to be in life,” said Luke.

“Kansas University is one of the top academic institutions in the U.S., it is close to home, and his personality gels with the KU coaching staff,” said Pepper.