RayPecNOW

• Seniors, check the updated Obligations List outside the Senior Office

• The calendar now shows the last day of school as an early release on May 31

Big rival, big night

Jack Patton, Sports Editor

Two of the biggest nights in high school football are Homecoming and playing the rival school. This year these two nights fall into one. Head football coach Tom Kruse, knows it will be an important night.

“We talk about it everyday, homecoming is so much better with a win. There’s so much going on with homecoming; the parade, the pep assembly, the dance, and what takes place around all that is the football game. I try to tell the guys keep your focus where it needs to be,” said Kruse.

Senior running back Brandon Rayos knows how important it is to stay focused on the already existing rival game.

“This is a really exciting game playing Belton at home and being our senior year. We gotta keep the mindset that it’s just like last weeks game and will be like the game next week,” said Rayos.

Senior quarterback, Grant Miller has some similar goals while preparing for this week’s game.

“Making sure I’m not getting injured, staying hydrated, and working hard at practice are the three main things I need to make sure I’m doing this week,” said Miller.

Despite the extra pressure the team is staying on their normal schedule while preparing for The Pirates.

“You get into this time of the season the schedules pretty much stay the same. I think our preparation has been good this week and our kids are going to play good,” said Kruse.

The team does not want to disappoint the students and the community, especially after the norm of beating Belton.

“We haven’t lost to them in ages you don’t wanna be that team that loses so you’re gonna do everything you can to go out there and take the win,” said Rayos.

This game is important to one certain individual as well. Senior, Chris McKinzy will be making his debut after a knee injury last season.

“It will be nice having Chris on defence with his speed and being able to cover. Hopefully we’ll be able to get him in on offence to get him back in the grind,” said Rayos.

Having two big nights combined into one brings a lot of excitement throughout the community. The players, coaches, and fans have all prepared for this week’s big night.