Chatting while driving

Alexus Nelson, Reporter

There is no surviving distracted driving. Sometimes the students are good drivers and do not get on their phones. However, some decide to get on their phones and end up crashing. There are many things on a person’s phone that could distract them, from social media to a text.

Some say that Snapchat, an image messaging application software, of all things is causing wrecks. According to Sky News, Addil Haroon took a photo of his vehicle’s speedometer while racing at double the speed limit on the M62 November of 2014. He sent it to his friend via snapchat, saying: “Leeds to Rochdale 11mins catch me.” He smashed into another vehicle with such force the other car cut in half. Haroon, from Essex Street, Rochdale, was jailed at Manchester Minshull Street Crown for six years with minor injures.

There are people locally that Snapchat while driving as well. Junior Meghan Bayers snapchats while driving.

“I do snapchat and drive, but most of the time I wait till I’m stopped at like a stop sign or something before I do,” said Bayers.

Sometimes it is not just snapchat sometimes it is other things that distract a driver such things as facebook, text messages, instagram, etc.

“I use my phone mostly for music and if I get a call or like my parents texted me,” said junior Matthew Thomas.

According to Channel 6 action news in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In the early morning hours of Sunday, Dec. 20, 2015, just five days before Christmas, police say a Black Camaro carrying three young women from Philadelphia was speeding. Their car slammed into a parked tractor-trailer carrying herbicide, and burst into flames. According to several sources, including Jimmy Abgarian, that fatal night Gia posted several Snapchats documenting their whereabouts.The girls were “Snapping” their speed. The miles per hour feature, included on the Snapchat app, allows users to post videos, in some cases showing their dangerous pace.They found others on YouTube also using the filter to brag about their speed, including one Snapchat user posting a speed of nearly 106 miles per hour, and a motorcycle’s Snapchat speed showing 57 miles per hour.

Snapchatting while driving seems even more dangerous than sending a text. People with snapchat need to realize that sending a picture is not as important as saving their life.