More than a job: Advising the media and minds of tomorrow

Glimpsing into the lives of media adviser and their students, the identity of a typical Journalism Adviser is challenged

Ian Russell

Ian Russell and Maddie Reihs

More than enough people would not willingly volunteer to be surrounded by high school students for hours on end, work with them on a daily basis, or mentor them throughout their schooling experience. The job is simply not cut out for everyone, if so everyone would be lined up to apply to be a Journalism Media Adviser.

Being an adviser is much more than a job position, it is a commitment. In order to be willing to devote as much time as advisers do towards their students’ publications and advising them, a certain passion has to be motivating them to do what they do. For adviser Anna Woerman, her motivation to become her school’s yearbook adviser, although initially driven by her own interests, ended with a new found love for mentoring teenagers.

“I started out as a graphic designer. And a couple of years ago a job opened up in the high school about them being in need of a journalism adviser. I decided to apply for the position because I used to be in the high school newspaper and I really enjoy design so I figured I would enjoy this job,” Woerman said.

Her students have been impacted as well because of Woerman’s involvement in their journalism program, becoming more of a friend than a teacher. Between the long nights working until 10 p.m. on newspaper and early mornings checking off yearbook pages, the bonds between her and her students have grown closer than expected.

The patience, passion, and perseverance that accompanies the job of a Journalism Adviser is demanding of individuals who take on the task. However, the benefits of witnessing the growth and development of teenagers and their interests in the journalism field makes it worth it.

“For me, I continue doing this because I love seeing my students learn. I grow so close to each of them between the many hours we spend together and I love seeing them work,” said Woerman.

What do you think is the most important character trait for an adviser to possess?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...