Students aid for Houston

Kaci Kinder, Reporter

Hurricane Harvey tore through Houston, Texas last month. There were roughly 86,784 residents under the age of 5 when the hurricane hit, and more than half that number are in dire need of diapers.

While the families who survived the hurricane mourn the loss of their homes, senior Miranda Howe has come up with a way to helps those in need.

The diaper drive is a service project I’m starting for Houston, Texas,” said Howe.

The Diaper Drive has been going on for only a short period of time, but the students have already started donating packages of diapers to the designated teachers. Howe has high hopes for the Diaper Drive, and plans on continuing the Hope for Houston project throughout the year.

“ I was the person who started up the donate for the troops last year, and we had a very big turnout…So this year, I’m hoping we can do the same thing for Hope for Houston and we can just send them a lot of relief and give a lot of hope to them”, said Howe.

Howe has reached out to adults for help with the project. Leadership teacher Jeff Moore has offered his classroom up for the diaper drive.

“I’m just kinda the go to. She comes to me for advice and I make flyers and things for her,” said Moore.

Students have been bringing diapers since Howe introduced the idea during a pep assembly.

“I hope that it will help all the families who can’t afford it right now because they had their houses destroyed. I also hope it helps with stress because having a newborn during a hurricane would be quite stressful,” said sophomore Jaden Thomas.

Howe has looked into other refugee organizations other than just the one she created. She plans for the Hope for Houston project to last throughout the year, and hopes students will join in with her.

“I know it doesn’t seem like it but it’s gonna make a huge impact for the families that don’t have anything and do have babies.”

Howe’s plan is to help those in Houston who are in need, with the assistance of all who want to make a difference. She has more events planned for her Hope for Houston campaign, and she plans to have them through the year and progressively raise more.