This end sparks a new beginning

Kinzie Waide, Reporter

`Roxanne Martin, a 21 year choir director, will be starting a new chapter in her life after this year. Transitioning from waking up every morning for school, to being able to sleep in, Martin will be retiring. Long journeys come to an end, but the memories can last a lifetime.

“After I retire I’m going to travel, spend time with my grandson, and I’m going to learn how to play the cello.” said choir director Roxanne Martin.

Terry Foster has worked with Martin for four years as her pianist, he picks up on the knowledge she provides.

“I think I learn something new from her almost everyday, and I find myself using it with my own choirs.” said pianist Terry Foster.

Brittnie Morrison, a four year involved choir student is graduating with Martin by her side.

“Mrs. Martin has definitely taught me a lot of things throughout the years, I feel close to her, especially this year because we are both leaving. This year during my solo, she pushed me out of my comfort zone, and when I was done she told me she loved me.” said senior Brittnie Morrison.

Martin has certain characteristics that are reflected through her teaching tactics.  

“She definitely does not put up with people that slack or don’t want to be in there, she has a strong and firm aspect but also sweet and caring for her students.” said Morrison.

Martin’s personality is not the only aspect that her students recognize.

“My favorite part about Mrs. Martin has to be her smile, it just brightens my day, and she’s just so sweet.” said Morrison.

Throughout the years, moments have been shared and memories have been made between Martin and Foster.

“The best memory may well be this past Saturday in Columbia when she, myself, and Madeline Manser went out to lunch, she insisted on paying for our lunches, and I said no I can pay for mine, I have extra stuff that I was getting, and she said no Terry, you do so much extra stuff at the school, I want to do this for you.” said Foster.

Although singing is Martin’s career, she considers it much more than her occupation.

“It’s more than just a job and more than just a career, singing is very personal, your voice is unique and individual to every human being, so working here has just been a great experience as a person and a teacher, getting a chance to share that and teach that with the students.” said Martin.

Martin has not only left an impact on her pianist but also her students.

“I know that she has had a major impact on some of the students, I saw one this past weekend, that is now going to the same college that she went to, Madeline Manser, Mrs. Martin had a huge impact on her life.” said Foster.  

Whether a teacher or a colleague, Martin has made her mark, and will forever be in the hearts of her students and coworkers.