Thinking ahead

Savannah Wolff, Reporter

Listening to the teacher lecturing, students jot down notes in their spiral notebook. Each one of them absorbing the information trying to be ready to face the real world that is arriving quicker and quicker with each passing moment.

There are many jobs outside of high school, that range from being a nurse or doctor to an engineer. Counselor Cheryl Gray believes that every class from the practical art to the core classes help students be prepared for each of those jobs and the others that branch out.

“I think a lot of our practical art classes can really focus on a variety of careers there really isn’t a class out there that doesn’t prepare you for a career,” said Gray.

All of the schools classes cover the career clusters in Industrial and Engineering, the classes that prepare you most are going to be trigonometry and Intro To Computer Science

“If someone is looking for industrial we cover that and engineering with CAD. If someone was looking to be a chef or in the culinary we got the foods classes like Food and Nutrition,” said Gray.

There are even students that have already decided on what they want to do with their lives such as senior Erin BeauChamp who has decided to go into the medical field.

“I have already been accepted to UCM and I’ll be going for speech pathology and sign language degree,” said BeauChamp.

To try and prepare her for this type of work and not struggle during college, BeauChamp is in advanced Marketing to save money.

“Mostly I’m taking the advanced marketing for DECA to leave school early and go to work to save money for college,” said BeauChamp.

BeauChamp despite being well prepared for college, went to the special education teacher, Ms. Collin, for advice and help to point her down the right path.

“When I did tutoring I talked to my teacher there and she was the special education teacher and she helped point me towards the speech pathologist at that school and helped me talk to her,” said BeauChamp.

Before she made up her mind to be a sign language interpreter BeauChamp had her mind all over the place with different wanted jobs and career areas in the beginning of high school.

“As I have gone through high school I’ve had many different paths that I wanted to do like a physical therapist and a pediatric therapist then I settled on a speech pathologist,” said BeauChamp.

Senior Bailey Anderson is planning to be an accountant in the future and like the other girls, he has already planned how he is going to reach his goal.

“I plan on going to Longview to get the basics out of the way and then transferring to a four year college to get an accounting degree,” said Anderson.

He is taking a good section of math classes to get him ready for the job and to experience what his job is going to have him do.

“I am taking accounting and also college algebra,” said Anderson.

The real world is just around the corner of the senior class and they are ready to face it as the classes they have taken.. These classes, whether it be elective or core, have prepared them for the day where they will sit down in a college room and be confident to know they will make it to their goal and dream.

CAPTIONS:

Work day, perfecting their skills are students of Ms. Dieker’s chemistry class for they are learning how to predict productions. All of her classes have a quiz coming up very soon.

Study hard, going over their new work, Ms. Heist IB class goes over their homework. The IB classes are one of her smallest classes.

Team work, experimenting with chemicals is McKenzie Crawford and Brynn Riegert, who are working to complete chemistry’s newest class experiment. The green goggles are a must to wear in the classroom.

Against the clock, trying to finish up before the bell, the chemistry class tries to wrap up the experiment before the bell rings. The class experiment was only for one day.

Watchful eye, making sure everyone is on task, The chemistry teacher Ms. Dieker is walking around watching her class. She hasn’t had trouble with her students getting off task with experiments.