Mission shipwrecked

Taylor Catlett, Reporter

Homecoming week was seven days full of spirit, dress shopping, color coordinating, reservations, and school decorations. Student Senate members took their time to stay after school and fill the high school with as much Panther Pride as they could gather.

The task of hall decorating could be a time consuming and detailed one to take on, so the Senior Class President of Student Senate, Tammy Yang, had responsibility given to her. Yang spent her Thursday afternoon and evening hanging, cutting, gluing, and creating hallway decorations for the students and teachers both.

“The time it takes to decorate depends on the classes decoration choices and their attention to detail. This year the seniors that helped wanted it to look very nice and thought out. So it took around three or four hours,” said Yang.

For an event like homecoming, even the small tasks count in the big mass of things. Student Senate Executive Secretary senior Sydney Booth, does whatever she can to help through all the chaos. Booth and the other seniors were at the school from 7:10pm decorating.

“I stayed after school and helped the senior area get everything together. Cece Moss is the one that lead the parade and organized most of the stuff, so really she tells us what to do, and I try to help out in whatever way I can. One of the small things I did was make a list of all the names of the participants for all of that. But other than that just help out where I can,” said Booth.

Conducting the parade, gathering supplies, and just making sure everything ran smoothly, senior and Student Senate Vice President Cece Moss kept her cool during the busy time.

“We just went with a generic RP spirit theme, so it really let us get more creative with what we wanted to do. For the senior class we made this huge panther on the wall, it was really cool, and really fun to do. The fact that we had a bunch of people show up this year to help out, that was really cool, so we got a lot done,” said Moss.

To stay with the Ray-Pec school spirit, the executive decision was made to change the decorating theme.

“It was supposed to be a shipwrecked theme chosen by the cheerleaders, but we kinda just went with general RP spirit theme. So all of us came with seperate ideas and in the ends we just formed it all together. I personally would say the thing I made is my favorite, which was the huge panther. Obviously I’m a little biased,” said Yang.

The popular design element in the senior class sections was the big, paper panther at the front entrance. Booth gives Yang the attention and gratitude that other students felt.

“I personally really liked the giant panther, and that was Tammy Yang’s idea. She put that together really nicely,” said Booth.

Between her attendance, planning and organizing other responsibilities in that week, Moss made sure she had everything ready for her senate crew to dec out the school in black, white, and gold.

“I planned the homecoming parade. For hallway decorations itself, I went out and bought the decorations. So we brainstormed the list together, and then once we were there I was directing people. Tammy knew more of what was going on with the panther, so I just supervised everything else,” said Moss.

The decision of the homecoming theme is a team effort. The theme is supposed to get the students excited for the game.

“I think it’s a good theme because it gets everyone pumped up for the game, but it’s also kinda bad because if something tragic happened and we ended up losing it would be really embarrassing. But I don’t think that’s gonna happen because we’re gonna beat Belton,” said Booth.

No matter the theme or the event, decorations in the school impact people one or another, so student senate uses their creativity to hopefully inspire each individual who walks through the halls.