“Mgnie Brothers” bring Hawaii to Belton

Lydia Rust, Reporter

New restaurants are always popping up in the Raymore-Belton area with different cuisines, such as Italian, Mexican, Chinese and most recently in the area Hawaiian. Hawaiian Bros is a new restaurant that has recently came into Belton in place of the old Captain D and A&W’s.

Tyler Mgnie is one of four owners, they all have a brotherly bond which helped inspire the name of this restaurant.

“Its Hawaiian food and there is two sets of brothers so four brothers overall. We figured we would just combine the two,” said Mgnie.

Mgine and his brother have been apart of their family business for a good portion of his life. Him, his brother and the other set of brothers are all excited to own their own business together.   

“I’ve been working with my family in this business for 15 years. All these recipes, I’ve been cooking since I was fifteen. Me and my brother wanted to branch off and do our own thing,” said Mgnie.

In the near future, they plan on trying to expand into bigger cities.

“Right now this is the only location. We hope to expand into the Kansas City area,” said Mgnie.

The menu they have is a standard Hawaiian spread.

“It’s traditional Hawaiian plate lunch which consist of rice, macaroni salad and whatever meat you want. Honolulu chicken is our most ordered meal right now,” said Mgnie.

There is even a drink on their menu specially ordered from Hawaii.

“We do have a drink that is made in Hawaii tha we have a big shipment of it coming soon. It’s called ‘Hawaiian Sun’,” said Mgnie.

Meal prices can range like most places. For a small it is 6.50, a classic size is 8.50, and the large is 12.50. They are quite popular and get many orders a day.

“We’ve been getting 700 orders a day right now it’s been a really big success, and It’s busiest is either between 12 and 1 or 6 and 7 o clock,” said Mgine.

Most opinions so far are very good.  Senior John Baker went on the second day it was open and got the mixed platter for around $10.

“It was really good, the chicken is well marinated and I usually don’t like macaroni salad but i liked theirs,” said Baker.   

The service is also complimented at Hawaiian Bros. About two weeks ago Junior Ethan Holman enjoyed the experience overall.

“They sell pineapple and its fresh and good and the chicken goes good with it. The service wasn’t bad pretty efficient,” said Holman.

Though the meat platters are said to be good and are popular, some are a fan of the mixed vegetables too. Sophomore Haley Malone went this last weekend and also plans to go again this weekend coming up.

“Grilled vegetables were really good, my brother’s a vegetarian, so we don’t eat meat around him,” said Malone.

If you are looking for a job, they hire at a wide variety of ages starting with high school.

“We are not picky on the age we hire from high school to really anything. Looking for really positive attitudes,it’s really important for us to be upbeat and friendly with the customers. Being helpful in general is a quality we value,” said Mgine.

When first starting out, one would be doing more with customers than actual food.

“For their first week, they might be working with customers as a cashier or be learning some basic.” said Mgine

It is good start for a first job. Sophomore Payton Ball has been working there for 4 weeks since it has had it’s grand opening.  

“I honestly really like it, I eat there a lot. It’s fun, the bosses are nice,” said Ball.

The uniforms consist of fundamental pieces like most restaurants would have, but with their own Hawaiian Bros logo.

“We have a shirt that says Hawaiian Bros with a pineapple on it and a hat and a sweatshirt,” said Ball.

This is the first business for the brothers, and they are reaping many rewards from it.

“We’re really happy to be here business been great and we’re really looking forward to rest of the year,” said Mgine.

With everyone coming to try this new place, business is good and is looking into expanding around.