Guidelines for student initiated walkout

Martha Campos, Editor-in-Chief

Some students, including students at Raymore-Peculiar High School, have expressed their desire to participate in a student-initiated event as a show of support for Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School students, staff, and families of Parkland, FL following the tragic school shooting in their community. Additionally, some students also have indicated an intention to express their desire for safe schools through participation via this event. Board of Education policy IGDA allows for this student-initiated activity. Guidelines that will be provided to students for this event will be consistent with this Board policy. The details below provide guidance for our school and students regarding this day.

– Students may make the individual choice to participate in the student initiated walkout day on March 14th in alignment with Board policy IGDA.

– Student participation is not required.

– For participation purposes, students must be in attendance on this school day.

– There will be no penalty or retaliation for students for their participation or lack thereof.

– This event will not be open to the public as a matter of campus security. This is a student only event. No staff members are allowed to participate, neither are former students, parents, or any others external to RPHS.

– Parents are encouraged to discuss their child’s participation, or lack thereof, before March 14th.

– The regular school schedule of classes and lunch shifts on Wednesday, March14th will proceed as originally planned. Teachers will continue to teach, within their classes, during any type of student walkout.

– This student-initiated event will be scheduled from 10:36 a.m. – 11:06 a.m. knowing students nationally are requesting a period of 17 minutes of silence for this activity.

– On Wednesday, March 14th, 5th period begins at 11:11 am. Students will be expected to report to their 5th period class on time.

– Parents or guardians may check students out through the attendance office if students plan to attend a walk-out at another site in the Kansas City Metropolitan area.

– Any student who walks out between 10:36 am – 11:06 am must report to Panther Football Stadium, which is the area that has been designated for this event.

– Supervision will be provided by school administrators, counselors, the school resource officer, and campus security advisors, to monitor the safety of students.

– An alternate plan may be chosen if weather does not permit leaving the building.

– Per Board Policy (IGDA), students will follow district rules and procedures:
* Students attending student-initiated non-curricular meetings or activities must follow all district rules and procedures governing student conduct.
* The district reserves the right to maintain order and discipline as well as to protect the safety and well-being of students and employees.
* Students wishing to participate will follow the expectations outlined by their school administration regarding the location of the space provided.

– Dress code will be enforced on this day per Board policy (JFCA) and student handbooks.

As a school community we are most effective when we work in partnership with our student body. If you or your child(ren) have additional questions, please feel free to contact Raymore-Pecular High School Administration at (816) 892-1400, during business hours, or via email at one of the following addresses:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Respectfully,

Steven Miller
Principal, Raymore-Peculiar High School

Update:

Panther Students:

In an effort to coordinate with the student body at RPHS based on the different communications that have been going around, we are providing our students the opportunity and structure to participate in a walkout tomorrow from 10:36 am – 11:06 am. While the time we are offering does not specifically correspond with the 10:00 am – 10:17 am timeframe that has been suggested in some communications, it does provide a much more significant amount of time than the suggested 10:50 am – 10:55 am timeframe that has also been promoted and communicated on social media and in other communication venues.

With this being said, we are asking our students to work within the structure that will be provided as opposed to participating in a separate walkout at 10:00 am – 10:17 am. Students choosing to leave class and the building at 10:00 am tomorrow will be asked by the administration to return to their 3rd period class. Thank you in advance for your cooperation and willingness to work with us on this very important matter.

Also, students, please know that participation in any type of student-initiated walkout is an optional choice, and students should in no way feel obligated to participate. Students will be allowed to remain in the building and follow their normally planned schedule as well.

Respectfully,

Steven Miller, Principal Ray-Pec High School