Homecoming attire: hair and who cares?

Bela Torres, Reporter

Every year, both boys and girls plan and prepare themselves for the annual homecoming dance. Homecoming can be an exciting, care-free time, giving them a chance to lay back and enjoy the weekend. Junior Marissa Dick had positive experiences at previous dances.

“To me, homecoming is always a time to catch up with friends and take a break from school for a bit and just have fun,” said Dick.

Attire is a big part of the homecoming experience. Getting dressed up is a favorite part of the night. Sophomore nominee Faith Durham enjoys the joyous feeling that comes with dressing up.

“My favorite part is dressing up and taking pictures. The dresses makes me happy,” said Durham.

Along with Dick and Durham, the boys enjoyed having a chance to dress up and get fancy. Sophomore nominee Dashon Adams likes the opportunity to coordinate outfits with his friends.

“I like getting all dressy and matching with someone. Me and my date try to match as close as possible and me and my friends bow ties or suspenders,” said Adams.

While both the boys and girls like getting dressed up for the dance, that is where the similarities end. Some girls, such as Dick, start preparing for the dance weeks beforehand, having to snag the best dresses before stores run out.

I try to get my dress and shoes at least a week before homecoming, if not earlier, just so I do not have to rush last minute. I shop for my stuff at the mall where there are all different stores with a lot of options for dresses. I don’t like my dresses to be too expensive so I would spend no more than two hundred dollars,” said Dick.

Adams’ preparation for the dance is short lived compared to Dick’s and Durham’s.

“I am getting my suit Thursday night because I have not gotten it yet. I get my stuff at Kohls, and probably spend like $300, depending if I get shoes or not,” said Adams.

As for the actual getting ready routine, Durham sets aside hours for their transformation time. Some set appointments for hair and nails, and others need time to complete a makeup look.

“I am going to go and get my hair and makeup done, then get my nails done. I need a few hours to get ready, about two or three,” said Durham.

On the other hand, Adams slips on his suit, does his hair, and is out the door.

“It probably takes me like 30 minutes to get ready. First, I take a 15 minute shower while blasting music and then dance while getting ready. I put some lotion on my legs, pants on, and then all in one motion, I put on my undershirt and shirt-shirt, and pop it up,” said Adams.

While getting ready for the dance, emotions are all over the place for Durham and Dick. Excitement, nerves, and stress are among some of the strong emotions present while getting ready.

The process for getting ready is pretty hectic and stressful. Sometimes an hour or two is not enough time and I am running all over the place, searching for my shoes while braiding my hair at the same time,” said Dick.

For Adams, emotions are kept in check while preparing for the yearly event.

“I’m just litty, not nervous, and it just makes you feel fancy,” said Adams.

All in all, homecoming is a time to lay back, relax, and spend time with friends. The routines of the boys and girls vary, but the experience is a special one nonetheless.