Aspiring artist

Sheridan Shears, Reporter

The air is silent thick with anticipation and the smell of various paints and chalk as young artists are sitting on the edge of their seats filled with nerves and waiting for a winner to be announced. For an average high school student art class is just another required subject they need to scrape by and get a passing grade in. For sophomore Adeline Aube art class is her favorite part of the day and through her hard work, dedication, and persistence this year she won 1st in not only one, but two art competitions.

Ever since she could hold a pencil Aube has fell in love with the process of creating her own artwork. Having a dad who made art for a living fueled Aube’s love for art and provided her with a strong support system in her art. Years later after moving on from finger painting in preschool, Aube continues to push herself and grow as an artist.

“I realized that was something I really enjoyed to do and that I was good at and I also have my dad who is also an artist, he used to create art for Hallmark”, said Aube.

Aube’s art teacher this year, Amy Hellums, is one of the many who watch Aube go above and beyond in the art world. Whether she’s entering or attending any art competitions thrown her way or putting in the extra hours to take her art work outside the box, Aube has impressed her peers around her with her passion for art. Due to her above average art talent Aube even skipped an art class and was put in a more advanced one this year.

“The thing about Adeline is she doesn’t go for what’s easy she goes for what’s gonna look good and she knows how to be competitive and try new things”, said Hellums.

In the competition Aube had to incorporate the saying “Your actions matter”. In order to do that she created her piece around drugs to show that teenagers are always end up getting themselves in bad situations because of the decisions they make with drugs and alcohol. Aube started her piece off with a pencil drawing and used the pencil to add shade. Originally she planned on sticking to the basic graphite drawing, but instead of taking the easy way out she put in more work than the average art student. Aube went back in with prisma colored markers, and created a whole another aspect of color, and turned the piece upside down to incorporate the idea that drugs and alcohol can turn your world upside down.

“I was really surprised when my art teacher Hellums told me I won the state competition, and I went out into the hallway to call my dad immediately and tell him”, said Aube.

Getting your name out in the art world is not as easy as it may seem. Many young artists such as Aube have had years of practice, but have yet to achieve their goals. To make it somewhere in the art industry one not only needs to possess talent one needs creativity and the ability to take their ideas outside the box.