Preparing the pep

Lydia Rust, Reporter

Most everyone takes pep assemblies  as a chance to leave class and go hangout with friends and see who is doing what sports this year, but not a lot of people think of the planning that goes into them. They may look simple to plan but the planning that goes into them to makes sure coaches and players get recognized. Athletic director Mr.Kruse has a lot of say on what goes on at the assemblies.  

“Each year I find a student to kinda help mc our pep assembly. It’s always a lot better when a student takes it over, so we’ll meet and go over the schedule and the biggest thing with pep assemblies is to try in the smallest amount of time get as many groups involved as possible,” said Kruse.

The MC is a very important component of any pep assembly.They introduce who is about to come up and speak or introduce others. They change every year and are usually seniors, this year the mc is senior Jace Whitney.

“My official title is MC, Couch Kruse gave it to me. I just kinda introduce whose coming out like the coaches and their teams and activities. I have to pump the crowd up and be the first one to get them all excited and ready to go for the pep assembly,” said Whitney.    

To pick who will be our mc, Mr.Kruse usually tries to find someone people and students will pay attention to.

“It’s someone that is pretty outgoing within our school district or our building and someone that the kids would listen to, and it doesn’t have to be a student council kid, but it usually is like the senior class president or someone that’s highly involved in our school,” said Kruse

Band, cheer, and the prowlers also have to be prepared for the assembly. Prowlers have to memorize their dance routine, and cheer needs to memorize their routine as well. Freshmen Breanna Yates is a part of band explains some of what they need to have memorized.  

“We memorize our music including the fight song and the national anthem and then get out our instruments,” said Yates

Our assemblies are for games, so there are certain days they have to be so we can have an assembly then a game the day of or after.

“We have three a year. We have the first home football game which is our fall kick off, then we do homecoming which is obviously the homecoming game, then we do courtwarming,” said Kruse.

Many people are involved in pep assemblies to make them a good time for everyone.

“ Most of our pep assemblies when you throw in the number of students, the band there are like 500 kids involved so it’s a fun time it’s an exciting time i know kids get out of class so it’s one of those things, you get an opportunity to recognize kids outside the classroom for doing extracurricular stuff,” said Kruse.

Even though everyone gets prepared differently, they all come together to create school spirit for everyone and the game to come.