Planning makes perfect?

Rebeka Dickerson, Reporter

If anyone has ever wondered how their teachers stay organized, it probably has something to do with their plan period. Many students have an idea of what the plan period is, but it is actually more important to the teachers than some might think.

“Plan periods are a time when teachers don’t have a class during a certain period and prepare for their classes,” said senior Justice Jones.

Jones has the right idea. Although it is called a “plan” period, planning can sometimes be just a part of what the teachers do. Math teacher Amy Cahill does multiple tasks.

“I plan lessons, grade papers, enter grades, collaborate with other teachers, contact parents, make copies,” said Cahill.

Cahill said it would be very rare for there to be nothing for her to do on her plan time. FACs teacher Angela Snyder expanded on this notion, explaining how there really are many things that need to get done.

“Sometimes we have to make contacts to parents, sometimes I send emails, sometimes we have to go have meetings with administrators, sometimes we meet with kids for them to come in and do make-up work. There’s a lot of stuff. If it was taken away from us, it would not be beneficial,” said Snyder.

With all of these responsibilities, the teachers would definitely favor having a longer plan period to get everything together.

“Oh, I would love for it to be longer. I don’t ever have enough hours in my day to get everything done,” said Cahill.

Teachers not only have their job during the day, but often have a family and other roles outside of school. That is another reason having a time to plan is something so cherished.

“So I can feel a semblance of being organized. Otherwise I would have to do it at home and with having two active kids it would be tough,” said Cahill.

The time in which the teacher has their plan period can make a difference. Cahill has hers fourth period, so she teaches three hours, has a break, and teachers three more. Snyder has hers first period, which she likes.

“It gives me a little bit more time to pull myself together in the morning, so that I can be more prepared,” said Snyder.

Whether staying in the classroom, talking to other teachers, or going to make copies, a plan period gives teachers a time to do whatever they need before their next class quickly approaches.

“It’s super important, because it gives us time to stop and think about what we’re working with in our classes and if we need to do any modifications or updates. If we don’t have that plan time, it doesn’t give us a break in the day,” said Snyder.

Plan periods are something that can certainly be overlooked by students, but to teachers it is sometimes the only quiet time they get in the day. It is a time that is not taken advantage of, and would be highly missed if taken away.