Choosing a citizenship

Dayvis Sloan, Reporter

Being Canadian, but living in America, when you turn 18 people have to choose what citizenship they want to be. Senior Madison Howard will be turning 18 on July 7, and she has the decision to choose whether she wants to be an American citizen or a Canadian citizen because if you have dual citizenship, when you turn 18, you have to make a decision of what country to be a citizen of.

Madison is debating which country she want to be a part of, but she is leaning towards Canada because she likes Canada better. She says there are pros and cons of both countries.

“There are good and bad things about them. I like the way Canada functions more, and I kind of like America. Canada’s politics are better than America’s,” said senior Madison Howard.

Madison has friends and family that would miss her if she chose to be an Canadian citizen. Sophomore, Emily Wearing is a good friend of Madison and wants her to stay an American citizen.

“I think having the choice is neat and interesting, but I wish she would stay an American citizen because she is one of my good friends. Then again, I can’t control what she is going to choose,” said sophomore Emily Wearing.

Madison is worried about what her parents are going to think. She thinks her mother will be upset, but she knows her dad will be okay with it because he grew up in Canada.

“I pretty much have my decision. My mom would hate me because she hates Canada. My dad grew up in Canada, so I am pretty sure he will be happy for me, but overall, it’s up to me,” said senior, Madison Howard.

Howard’s dad, Derek Howard, agrees that it is Madison’s choice to decide what country she wants to be a citizen of.

“I think as a parent, I support my kids. I always want to support what they’re doing. No matter what it is, I want to be a support dad. What she is choosing, is a choice she needs to make as an adult. We’ve exposed her to both countries so she has a good mindset of what she is choosing,” said Derek Howard.

Madison will have to become either an American citizen or a Canadian citizen when she turns 18, She is supported by her friends and family with what decision she makes. They can not control what she chooses, that is a choice Madison has to make on her own.